|Land Metro||799.87 km2 (308.83 sq mi)|
|Population Density||151.1/km2 (391/sq mi)|
|City Area||121.97 km2 (47.09 sq mi)|
|Elevation||175.30 m (575.13 ft)|
|Area code(s)||905, 289, 365|
Port Colborne (2011 population 18,424) is a city on Lake Erie, at the southern end of the Welland Canal, in the Niagara Region of southern Ontario, Canada. The original settlement, known as Gravelly Bay, dates from 1832  and was renamed after Sir John Colborne, a British war hero and the Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada at the time of the opening of the (new) southern terminus of the First Welland Canal in 1833.
The International Nickel Company (now Vale) has long been one of the city’s main employers, since the opening of a refinery in 1918. Taking advantage of inexpensive hydroelectricity from generating stations at nearby Niagara Falls, the refinery produced electro-refined nickel for the war effort, and grew to employ over 2,000 workers by the 1950s. Cutbacks in operations and increasing factory automation have reduced the workforce to its present day total of 190.